NTEU Chapter 282
In 1938, the National Association of Employees of Collectors of the Internal Revenue (NAECIR) was established to improve working conditions, and ensure fair wages and job security for federal revenue officers.
When the revenue collection agency was re-organized as the Internal Revenue Service in 1952, NAECIR broadened its scope to include all IRS workers, and adopted a shorter name--the National Association of Internal Revenue Employees (NAIRE). NAIRE received its charter as a federal employee union in 1967.
In 1973, the union expanded again to include members throughout the Treasury Department. The organization's name was updated to the National Treasury Employees Union (NTEU) to reflect the change. In 1975, NTEU merged with the National Customs Service Association, which brought in the first non-IRS members.
In 1977, members voted to strengthen the union by moving beyond the Treasury Department to organize employees in other federal agencies. In 1978, employees of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) became the first members outside the Treasury Department.
NTEU issued Chapter 282 a Charter to represent FDA Headquarter’s employees on April 22, 1998. The unit consists of 3,700 Washington, D.C. area headquarter employees of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Employees are located from Mall in downtown Washington, D.C., to Beltsville, MD to Gaithersburg, MD. Some members of the bargaining unit are in headquarter units stationed in Arkansas, Chicago, St. Louis and Alabama. Chapter officers were elected in February 1999 for a three year term. A collective bargaining agreement was negotiated in the first half of 1999 and became effective on 1 October 1999.